Choam Chao Sangkat, Cambodia
Choam Chao at a Glance:
Choam Chao is one of the cities that have chosen a project from Indonesia as a best practice example. The successful relocation of street vendors into a disused market area in Solo, which led to the revitalisation of the old market, inspired Choam Chao to make their own old market more attractive to locals and tourists alike while at the same time solving the problem of unregulated street vendors.
After a very informative and useful study tour to Solo in July 2011, the implementation of the activities is in full swing by now. The two coaches worked intensely with the task force and helped them in their talks with street vendors, landowners and village authorities to review progress and find solutions to obstacles. During a recent meeting, attended by all stakeholders, including market operators, street vendors, local residents, factory and landowners,an agreement was reached on how to best manage the relocation.All the formalities to extend the market by erecting a new building have been arranged by now, and the actual construction can begin!
|Name of Pilot City (Full-version):||CHOAM CHAO Sangkat (Sangkat is an urban commune)|
|Type of Local Government:||4th Tier of Government|
|Name of Mayor:||(Mr) Soth Sath (Sangkat Council Chief and also Sangkat Chief)|
|Number of registered inhabitants:||69,100|
|Thematic Area:||Fiscal Management and Investment Planning|
|Replication of Best Practice:||Humane Relocation and Empowerment of Street Vendors|
Replication of Best Practice 14
(Thematic Area 4: Fiscal Management and Investment Planning)
Choam Chao Documents
- You want to learn more? Find the short and extended versions of the transfer concept as well as other pilot city documents here .
Choam Chao News on www.DELGOSEA.eu:
- Short Memo: Inclusive Project Process in Choam Chao
- Short Memo: Cambodian Pilot Cities Busy
- Short Memo: Capacity Building in Choam Chao
- Revitalizing Traditional Markets: Chaom Chao from Cambodia is Impressed by Solo’s Success
- Best Practices Local Governance National Workshop Launches in Cambodia
- Choam Chao’ Sangkat Prepares Groundwork for Transfer Concept Development