Kampot Municipality, Cambodia
Kampot at a Glance:
Kampot in Cambodia is also replicating the eco-savers scheme from the Philippines – a very popular best practice example, appealing to communities across the region. Here, 18 schools are participating and the implementation of the recycling scheme is in full swing, with the ‘eco-day’, when all children bring in the rubbish they collected over the course of a month, regularly taking place. The city feels the difference: suddenly the streets are much cleaner, parks have become pleasant places where more and more people come for physical exercise and even the local riverbanks have been freed from rubbish. Additionally, city government as well as the community held a widely publicized ‘tree-planting day’, as part of the effort to improve the local environment. A big publicity campaign supports the activities and local people are now well aware of the need to keep their city clean and to start recycling and better managing their own rubbish.
|Name of Pilot City (Full-version):||Kampot Municipality|
|Type of Local Government:||Municipality, 3rd Tier of Government|
|Name of Mayor:||(Mr) Neak Sovannary|
|Number of registered inhabitants:||36,643 (6,744 families)|
|Thematic Area:||Inclusive Urban Public Services with a focus on Urban Environment|
|Replication of Best Practice:||Marikina’s Eco-Savers Program, the Philippines|
Replication of Best Practice 12
(Thematic Area 3: Inclusive urban public services)
- You want to learn more? Find the short and extended versions of the transfer concept as well as other pilot city documents here.
Kampot News on www.DELGOSEA.eu:
- A Mix-and-Match Approach to Replication
- Replication Enthusiasts on the Move (Kampot and Toul Sangker)
- Short Memo: Kampot Holds Reflection Workshop
- Short Memo: It's Eco Day in Kampot!
- Short Memo: Samaky School in Kampot hosts Eco-Savers Replication Presentation
- Short Memo: Cambodian Pilot Cities Busy
- Short Memo: Kampot (Cambodia) discusses Marikina (Philippines) Best Practice
- Learning from the eco-savers: Marikina City in the Philippines welcomes Vinh City from Vietnam and Kampot fom Cambodia
- Best Practices Local Governance National Workshop Launches in Cambodia
- Mayor of Kampot Presented Urban Waste Management Replication Efforts in Colombo, Sri Lanka