Pakkret Municipality, Thailand
Pakkret at a Glance:
Pakkret is replicating a successful project carried out by Solo on the Indonesian island of Java, which targeted the problem of unregulated street vendors and the decay of traditional markets. One of the effects of relocating street vendors to old and underused markets was an increase in the tourism potential of Solo as the old market area became much more attractive than it used to be. It was particularly this aspect of the best practice that interested the local government in Pakkret, which is hoping to revitalise the towns old waterfront into an atmospheric and vibrant market area that would attract visitors to the town.
The city, which is only 20 km away from Bangkok and situated at a river, was badly affected by the flooding in late 2011, which led to a slight delay in the replication of the best practice. By now, however, Pakkret is catching up, conflicts of interest between the owners of shop houses in the market and local vendors are being resolved, and all involved came together recently for a big communal clean-up of the old market area. Through capacity building workshops and a visit to Phuket, where the old town of Phuket was successfully revitalised, the task force received further inspiration on how to shape their new market and make the area attractive for tourists. It’s time for the actual building work to begin!
|Name of Pilot City (Full-version):||Pakkret|
|Type of Local Government:||Municipality|
|State/ province:||Pakkret District, Nonthaburi Province|
|Name of Mayor:||Mr. Vichai Bandasak|
|Number of registered inhabitants:||178,797|
|Thematic Area:||Fiscal Management and Investment Planning|
|Replication of Best Practice:||Humane Relocation and Empowerment of Street Vendors|
Replication of Best Practice 14
(Thematic Area 4: Fiscal Management and Investment Planning)
- You want to learn more? Find the short and extended versions of the transfer concept as well as other pilot city documents here.
Pakkret News on www.DELGOSEA.eu:
- Short Memo: Pakkret Under One Roof
- Short Memo: Pakkret conducts Capacity Building Workshop
- DELGOSEA Beneficiaries | This month: Supaporn Dusittanakarin, Cultural Tourism Promotion Task Force
- Short Memo: Thai Updated Transfer Concepts Available (Chiang Rai, Pakkret, Sonkhla, Yala)
- Short Memo: Pakkret Conducts Domestic Exchange Visits
- Managing Street Vendors: Solo, Indonesia, Proves an Inspiration to Pakkret, Thailand
- Collaboration Ensured, Thailand National Workshop on Local Governance Best Practices Launched